[pct-l] Current Conditions Oregon D,E,F,G?

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 00:23:31 CDT 2011

I just returned from the Three Sisters area.  We parked at Devil's Lake and hiked up to the ridge extending southward from South Sister and then down the other side to the southeastern arm of Wickiup Plain.
The trail (access trail, NOT the PCT) was clear for about half the distance to the top of the ridge.  Then we hit snow and that trail was completely obscured.  We saw very little bare ground the rest of the day.  The Wickiup Plain is still about 90% covered with snow.  That's as far as we went before returning via a route around the butte that forms the souther end of the aforementioned ridge.  Wooden trail signs were sticking out of the snow for 2/3 their height.  Other than that, we had no idea where the trails were except for people's footprints.  Overall, there's still on average at least a foot of snow on the Wickiup Plain and up to six feet in some spots coming up that ridge.
Santiam Pass looked fairly clear, though, but based on what we saw up there, I'd expect anything above maybe 5000 ft. and definitely over 6000 ft. to be totally socked in with snow for at least two more weeks.  It was, however REALLY WARM up there, so the snow should be melting fast!

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR