[pct-l] Hikers over Yosemite falls

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 12:34:26 CDT 2011

Yep, I'll be the first to recount my last stupid decision that nearly cost me. Coming back down the snow covered slope of the famous 99 switchbacks on Mt Whitney we could see where someone had glissaded down. I decided to try it and within the first two seconds I realized I was in trouble, with my legs flopping back and forth and threatening to pull me out of the icy slot.  My ice axe wouldn't slow me down as a brake and when I tried to self arrest by rolling over on it, it wouldn't either and I'm almost bounced out.  Fortunately for me the run out was clean and the softening angle finally allowed the ax as a brake to work.  This icy side of the slot took most of the skin off of my wrist.  It could have been MUCH worse! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Let's all chime in here! What's your stupidest thing that you've ever done in the wilderness? Maybe we can all learn from each other's mistakes.

From: "Sue Kettles"
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Hikers  over Yosemite falls

How many of us have done something totally stupid that should have cost us
greatly but we sigh a huge relief for the grace or the luck that kept us out
of trouble.  Yes is was totally stupid - as I'm sure they were thinking as
they plunged over the falls.

I would hope that we'd instead be thinking of the shock and sadness that
those left behind are experiencing right now, and sending our thoughts and
prayers that way instead of such a harsh response.  "He who is without sin
may cast the first stone".

Greg Hummel

Lovely to see you again my friend.
Walk along with me to the next bend