[pct-l] current tahoe backcountry snow conditions

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jul 18 22:22:42 CDT 2011

Mtnned and Lady J just finished one of the higher and longer sections of the southern Tahoe Rim Trail this weekend and are happy to report that the snow level on the south and west aspects is above 10,000 while it is about 9,000 on the north and east aspects. Much has melted off in the last two weeks, but when we looked across Lake Tahoe into Desolation Wilderness and the PCT, there is a lot of snow still sitting in on the western slope!

We stepped into another section of the PCT/TRT where we had hiked two weeks ago, a north-facing bowl off Twin Peaks that the PCT comes near while the TRT descends it steeply, and found a lot of the snow in there had melted off, but the solid snow line was still about 7,600 to a depth of 3 to 5 feet. Such a difference between snow levels and amounts on the south side vs. the west side of Lake Tahoe!

Another interesting note was the discovery of very hard, consolidated, afternoon, north-aspect snow that, for the first time this spring, required the use of crampons to safely traverse (try as we might, we really couldn't kick in decent steps that we felt comfortable putting all our weight on with the run-out we had below us).

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150