[pct-l] Bunions and long distance hiking

CClark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 15:24:34 CDT 2011

Hi Ruffwork,

I think I could take the world record for the most misshapen feet of any hiker.
But you CAN enjoy distance-hiking despite bunions.

1. Stretch your boots to be wider than normal in the problem area.  Buy stretch
spray at a shoe repair shop. Apray the boot on the inside.  While it's
drying, insert a wooden shoe stretcher with attachable 'bumps' (availiable at
HarrietCarter.com) or just a piece of wood as wide as your foot, covered with
cloth on each end.

2. When you hike, create a bunion cushion by folding up a soft piece of cloth.
Lock it in place just past your bunion (toward the toes) with medical tape. This
will hold your boot in wide position and prevent your boot from rubbing.

If you want photos, you can email me offline.

Enjoy!!!!  I don't let bad feet stop me.

Sole Doctor

Message: 2