[pct-l] Tents

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 12:39:42 CDT 2011

Sorry if this came in multiple copies.........(having gmail issues)

I have also used the SD Light year. for several hikes.  It is just about a 3+ season tent.  I have had snow and winds up to 50 mph TRY to take it down.  It is the best 3 lbs you can carry if you anticipate bad weather.

Now days I have gone to the "Light" side.  Bit the bullet and purchased the Gossamer Gear "The One".  It is indeed just about one pound (Not including the hiking poles I bring and use anyway)

The light year goes together with just 2 stakes in "bug mode".  It takes one to three more stakes to attach the rain fly.  It is easily set up in windy and raining conditions and is just about 100% rain proof.

Now the "One" is another animal all together when it comes to set-up.  It isn't real hard to get it set up generally.  Oh, but if the wind is blowing, then the pain in the ass factor kicks in.  It is just the nature of the design and fact that I hike solo.  It is at best a 2+ season tent for me.  I carry 10 titanium stakes and usually use 2 to 6 rocks to help anchor and hold down the stakes in the wind.  (rocks found on-site......:)  I have had several set-up issues in either loose soil or rocky ground and/or heavy wind.

The bottom line is that the "One" keeps out all creepy crawlies and skeeters.  And it does a pretty good job at keeping out 95% of the rain (and you have to manage the condensation issue).  The saving of the 2 lbs off my back and knees has made the "One" my go-to tent.

Bottom line:  my two favorite tents that I will probably never use again are the Light Year and the MSR Hubba.  The only reason is that they weigh in at 3 lbs and 4 lbs respectfully.  (I use to have a love and "REALLY Hate_ relationship with the Hubba, because of the GAWD awful Bumble Bee Yellow rain fly.  Just noticed that after I sent them a message begging for a green or beige rainfly years ago, that it is now GREEN)  The Hubba is also considered a free standing tent and this can be a major factor on either rocky or loose soil or snow conditions.  Free standing makes set up and even re-positioning a snap.

So, there you go.  No real easy answer.  For me, I am comfortable and willing to deal with the single wall sometimes difficult to set-up light weight option.

Knocking 2 lbs off my back and knees just like that has made the "One" my choice.  (I often tell folks who note my small pack:  It has taken years for me to bring down my gear to a safe and light package.  My tent, sleeping bag, pack and even my inflatable mattress still weighs less than my pack alone, that I used for my thru-hike in 2001)

As is said;

Hike your own hike:  HYOH
and
Carry your own gear:  CYOG