[pct-l] Preferred Tent

Alden Dale fauxgt4 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 12:50:19 CDT 2011

Briana,

I have the Sl1 and absolutely love it. I hiked about 700 miles of the PCT so far with it and have few complaints. At 6' I find I can still sit upright in the middle of the tent and floorspace wise its a very roomy 1-man tent. I sleep with all my gear inside my tent and dont feel cramped at all.

As to Yogi's comments, I agree about the top-entrance. I had used side entrance tents all my life before this. The first few weeks took a bit getting used to. I very rarely have to get up in the middle of the night though, so usually it's only in and out once per day. I think it's worth the weight savings though.

Also, one other thing to keep in mind is you can purchase carbon fiber poles for the sl1. They save another 4-5 oz if I remember correctly.

There are tons of different options out there for tents. I purchased 4 tents that all looked good on paper and set them up around my house. After a few days of crawling in and out of each one a few times, I settled on the sl1 and returned the others. If you can find a seller that has that kind of policy on returns it can be a good way to go.

-Alden

Sent from my iPad