[pct-l] Bag/Quilt Warmth

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Fri Jul 15 22:58:03 CDT 2011

Hello All,

I just wanted to throw out a question and see what everybody feels
about the issue of what temp bag/quilt you feel you should would use
on the PCT if you were to (re)hike it in the next year or two.

I realize that some folks sleep warm and some sleep cold, so my
question is here is specifically what would *you* use?

I also realize that a person could take a 40 degree bag and use it in
combination with a WM/MB down jacket/pants to get a sub-freezing
rating, so if you feel that is what you would do, by all means, share
that as well.

I will admit that, for me, this is perhaps one of the hardest issues I
face each time I am planning a trip. I am often torn between whether I
should take my highly beloved MontBell UL SuperSpiral #3 (a 30f bag)
or my Nunatak Arc Ghost (32f quilt). I really really love my MBULSS
but at 21 ounces verses 13 ounces for my Arc, its often a hard choice
for me unless I know for sure its going to get sub freezing, at which
point the MBULSS goes w/o hesitation.

So, anyway, just wondering "if you were going to hike the PCT next
year, which temperature bag would you take?"

This is not a "what brand/model bag/quilt would you take"... but
rather a "what temperature bag/quilt would you take" question - I
think that is more important than the name on the bag/quilt, eh!

Thanks,
John