[pct-l] PCT thru timing for 2012

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Thu Jul 14 12:22:57 CDT 2011

Hello All,

Preface that I have not hiked the PCT yet. I am not a newbie hiker and
my PCT is planned for 2012.

It just seem to see this issue has one that has a lot of different facets to it.

Each year the PCT has people start it who have never hiked even a 50 mile trip.
Each year the PCT has people start it who might only have a few
hundred miles on their feet.
Each year the PCT has people start it who might already have a few
thousand miles under their feet.

When we approach the issue of "how do we approach hiking the PCT?" we
have to stop and consider each of those factors. I often get
criticized on my blog, on my youtube videos, an even here on the pct-l
a few times, for talking about SUL backpacking a bit too much. For
targeting the smaller 1-5% of hikers rather than the larger majority
who have not even reached UL levels yet. This past year I reached the
xul level (2.4 lbs bpw) and I have stayed pretty quiet about it
because I realize it would just further add issues that less
experienced hikers should probably not be thinking about - from
primary gear, to how do you carry enough safety gear within a two
pound backpack. Issues that only the smallest percentage of hikers
should consider. The way I see it is I know there are others out there
like me, so I target them, and let other bloggers, gear reviewers, and
such, target the larger audiences. It works for me and it works for
them and it works for readers and viewers who get a wider range of
gear and knowledge.

Start dates... good advice... bad advice... snow... rivers... heat...
these are things we all are going to have our personal issues on. Some
folks planning their first hike of the PCT might be really scared of
having to hike through a lot of snow. Other folks might be really
scared of having to deal with 110+ degree temps in SoCal. Others are
going to be so worried about whether they sent the right supplies to
the right spots at the right time, that for their first few weeks on
the trail they are not going to be thinking about much more than that
in the back of their mind. Others are going to have enough experience
to know that unless things really hit the fan, they are just out there
to hike and have a good time.

It concerns me when we start attacking each other over these type of
procedures and different approaches. Clearly those folks who lives in
Phoenix or Barstow are not going to think twice about what the temps
are going to be in SoCal - in fact they may even say 'bring it on!',
but when it gets to dealing with 20 feet of snow, that is something
that is way out of their experience. So for these folks, when to hit
the Sierras is a really big issue. On the other hand we have folks who
might be from Montana, Alaska, or those crazy folks (you know who you
are :-p) from MN who love their -15 temperatures. For these folks, the
though of 115 air temps, and 135 degree ground temps, are beyond
anything they experience for all except the rarest of times. For these
folks, getting through SoCal as early as possible needs to be their
mission so they do not have to suffer the intolerable heat of the
Mojave.

I grew up in Victorville, and Big Bear, and I now live in the middle
of the Redwoods where its usually around 55-60 every day, all day
long. Here, if it hits 75 degrees, the hospitals fill up because of
heat strokes. But I also know what its like to live in 115+ degree
weather. Still thow, I have little experience in the kind of snow that
folks are facing this year. And, the weather for those who started at
the kickoff turned out to be rather friendly (ie: not 115+) for most
hikers through the Mojave. So, those dreading the heat might have
gotten lucky, but those dreading the snow, well, they are sure not
getting lucky, huh.

So, all that to say this folks...

When to start... snow bridges verses river crossings... cold temps
verses hot temps... April verses May....

... We each have our own battles to face as we hike the PCT.

Just something to think about.

John B. Abela
www.RedwoodOutdoors.Com