[pct-l] PCT thru timing for 2012

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jul 13 22:34:29 CDT 2011

While I do not agree with postholer's delivery, I do agree that a
March start date can be too early. The trouble with the San Jacinto
area is that it's not like the Sierras at all. The chaparral makes it
impossible to go cross-country in many places. You don't have the
luxury of just saying to heck with the trail, the easiest way is that-
a-way. There are steep drop-offs and in my opinion, the trail is
poorly routed in many places. Yet there aren't clear alternatives.
People get lost and die up there almost every year. Same goes for
Baden-Powell. As locals we know it as the mountain where boy scouts
go to die. Additionally, most hikers aren't really fit yet when they
get to San Jacinto, and for many, the trail legs are only barely
setting in around Wrightwood. For many they are breaking down around
Wrightwood with shin-splints and other problems caused by weeks of
blisters or whatever. I really think that for a successful and
enjoyable thru-hike, it's better to start a little later in a high
snow year and simply keep a steady, moderate pace with fewer zero
days. Most people take way too much time off to party in So Cal.
Also, most hikers have this unrealistic idea about Oregon, that they
can make up for any slow-downs with big miles in Oregon. The fact is
that after Sierra City, if you can't make big miles then, you can't
make them in Oregon. It's not any easier in Oregon except maybe for
two days up near Mt. Hood.