[pct-l] PCT thru timing for 2012

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jul 12 19:52:15 CDT 2011

Ok, Scott, lets go in deeper...

Preface:

We only asked that our thoughts on this subject be considered by next year's
class of thru hikers. Of course topics can be overlooked which need to be
considered.

1. Every year we hear of hikers that do get stopped by early season storms.
I would imagine that others in our hiking community may have this
documented. We are only reiterating what the Park Rangers in Canada have
told us about when the storms usually arrive and their recommendation that
all hikers get across the border by "mid-September." We do not question
their validity or authority on this matter only accept it since they are
there and know best because of it. I would sure be saddened to hike toward
my dream of Canada only to be unable to reach or attain it because of an
early-season snow storm.
As far as a "selling point," I stated that we don't care if people take our
Courses, only go see what it's like up there right now for themselves and
consider the idea.
As far as having "no clue," after 37 years of sierra wilderness skills
instruction, we certainly have at least that.

2. In Southern California in April, being past the March date I stated when
the snow begins to consolidate because of the length of sunlight in the day
and the usual increase in ambient temperature, the snow on the mountains you
mentioned is consolidating and becoming more "spring-like" and harder
throughout. Yes, storms can still come in and bring powder conditions, but
"winter," unconsolidated snow is not usually present in April and the powder
doesn't last. We had such storms hit us this year and last in May north of
Kennedy Meadows and they did not deposit much nor did it last long (maybe a
day or two since the ambient temps at those times were very warm).
As far as "handily ignored this," I thought it was common knowledge, but
then I guess there are many who think there is fresh, powder snow in
abundance on the mountains of Southern California in April. Mountain
Education is not without recent experience in this as we just last year
taught a snow skills course on Mt. San Jacinto the end of April.

3. As mentioned above, snow storms can and do hit the west coast in April
and May, some bringing rain and some bringing snow. We have camped through
numerous storms that brought one or the other in May at elevations above
10,000 north of KM, as mentioned above. They deposited little and presented
no deterrent to our progress.
As far as "ignored this," you must be assuming that my comments were
premeditated and colored to make my "selling point." Storms at this time of
year do not pose a problem, but we encourage all thru hikers to be prepared
for the worst and enjoy the best, so watch the weather, stay in your tent if
there is a big storm, and carry a tent that will handle it well--you may be
in it for a day off!

4. Well, that depends when "after peak snow melt" really is and what is
still present at that time to continue to deal with. Most thru hikers want
to be as educated as possible before their hikes so they can be as prepared
as they can to make it through when their time comes. The true conditions on
the ground vary wildly depending on when they get "there." If "after" means
when there are ideal conditions of dry trail and low-flowing creeks above
10,500, then hikers may have to wait into August to get through the Sierra
in a summer like this one and last. Can a hiker still make it to Canada
after that and before the snows up north start flying, I doubt it, but with
some flipping I suppose anything can happen. I'm talking about keeping it
simple and doing a straight-through thru-hike.

5. If Oregon holds a lot of snow in July, then so be it. It certainly did
when I hiked through, but I got to Canada before the first snows of 1974! If
thru hikers want to hike fast and schedule their dream hikes that way,
leaving "late" and having to hurry north to make the storm deadline, then
that is their choice and desire. We only wanted to present the idea and ask
next year's class to consider the option in light of what last year's and
this year's have had to and are dealing with in regards to snow, creek
crossings, and safety-related concerns.

6. We want thru hikers to be aware of the conditions they are likely to
encounter in the High Sierra during the months when they are to be there,
know what it will take of them to get through it, go around it, or skip it
entirely, and have a Plan-B. Every year we look into the eyes of hikers who
have romanticized the concept of the thru hike and really have no "clue" as
to what they're going to see up there nor how they're going to have to deal
with it safely. Many just rely on their companions for aid and guidance and
there's nothing wrong with that except when they leave the trail, hike
ahead, or are just not around when the help is needed. Once the aspiring
thru goes up into the Sierras at the time when they expect to be there the
next year, they will see for themselves just how "exhausting and dangerous a
regimen" it really is and prepare for it or avoid it by waiting for the snow
to melt, avoiding it altogether, or flipping (if that really works depends
on the year's snow levels elsewhere on the entire trail).

7. Mountain Education wants hikers to be realistic about their intentions.
How do they do that? Go up into the mountains for themselves to see what its
really like. If they choose to hike late and attempt to attain a dry trail
all the way to Canada, then they need to realize what that will require of
their speed and miles required per day to get to Canada before the snow
flies. Just because we find it more enjoyable to go slow, start early,
snow-hike, and cross low creeks up north doesn't mean that everyone will see
it our way nor want to do it this way nor, maybe, they don't have it in
their schedule, even. HYOH.

Just realize that there are other ideas on the subject and they are not just
theory or conjecture. I left on the PCT on March 14th and arrived Manning on
Sept. 2nd.

Thanks for asking me to fill some holes in the subject, Scott!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150