[pct-l] 2012 go see now

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jul 12 18:00:19 CDT 2011

Mountain Education just released its thoughts on getting through the Sierra snow and high waters for those planning a PCT thru hike next year. The premise for it all is to be safe while having an enjoyable long-distance, multi-month hike from the Mexican Border to the Canadian Border through California, Oregon, and Washington.

With that in mind and the thoughts on "early" departures from the southern border mentioned earlier, we encourage next year's thrus to go up into the Sierra right now, while the conditions are likely to be similar to what they'll have to deal with next year, and find out what the trail is really like, and then plan for it, train for it, gear up, and prepare realistically. It doesn't matter whether you attend our skills courses, just go do your own test hike up there now.

If you want to have a fun, safe, and successful thru hike of the PCT next year, go see for yourselves what its really like during the difficult conditions that can't be avoided this year (and couldn't be avoided last year), then prepare for them as suits you best. Trail Journals describe it, but have you tested yourself in it? Remember, the only real time constraint you have that will stop you in your tracks is the early-season Washington snow storm.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150