[pct-l] Snow in the Trinities

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu Jul 7 15:51:25 CDT 2011

Not to downplay the conditions, and I have not been there this year, but remember that the PCT does not cross the Trinity Alps but rather follows a mostly south facing slope on a somewhat lower ridge to the north.

The Klamath NF (Scotts Mountain Summit to Callahans) released a conditions report yesterday
www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5313789.pdf
reporting snow line at 6200 with some south facing areas clear to 7000. It has details on trailheads campgrounds and the paralleling roads around Mt Ashland. It also says that PCT snow is melting and should be "accessible" by mid July.

Of course YMMV.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net

Eric Lee <saintgimp at hotmail.com> wrote:

Tim wrote:

The drive from Burney Falls to Redding down 299 on Saturday showcased the
Trinities under solid snow cover as far down their flanks as could be seen
past the intervening lesser mountain range. [...] However, outside of
Belden I found solid snow cover began at 5400 feet and north of Burney Falls
at 5000 feet.

For what it's worth, the online snow data shows that a *lot* of melting has
happened in Sections O and P this week. I do understand that the online
data tends to greatly understate the reality on the ground but it looks
encouraging nonetheless. Instructions for viewing the current version of
said data (if you can run Google Earth) can be found here:

http://www.pctnews.com/2011/updated-pct-snow-information-for-627-233/

Eric

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: