[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] When will the snow go?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jul 5 12:07:30 CDT 2011

The high passes in August may still have snow fields either leading up or just on top of them, but I'm sure there will be "trench-trails" over the dirt trails on which to walk. The only hazard might be if the compacted snow from all the other feet
becomes slippery. By the time most hikers reach the passes, the snow, even in the trenches, ought to be soft for a good enough 'purchase.'

Make sure you bring plenty of socks for frequent changes after creek and snow crossings, sun screen, bug repellent, and a BD Whippet pole in case you fall on a snowy traverse.

Navigation on the JMT is a far cry easier than along the TRT and that which the PCT thrus are going to have to deal with in northern Ca or Oregon because of the tree cover. Along the JMT, except for near the low elevation creeks, most of the trail is open with long views to peaks and other high reference points on which to navigate. Most of the time, south of Muir Pass, you simple ramp up and down from one pass to another with very few steep, side-angled traverses that are so nerve-wrenching and hard on the feet, ankles, and knees. Not so further north.

For all those PCT hikers just clearing VVR, Mammoth, or TM, the desire to get off snow and skip anywhere else along the trail is huge. However, flipping up to NoCal or Oregon is only going to put you on more snow in the trees. I know that the long canyons of Yosemite are filling with run-off and the creeks are too dangerous to cross at the trail crossings, but you're better off continuing on and not skipping and taking your time to search long and hard for dry crossings of the creeks encountered (avoid getting in the current) rather than heading off for "greener pastures" you presume to be up north.

Yes, by this date in a "normal" winter we would be experiencing what we're used to calling "summer conditions," but due to the huge volume of snow we got (200% of normal at Donner on May 1st--right Dittli?), it is going to be around for awhile. As we reported, just two days ago along the upper reaches of the PCT/TRT near Alpine Meadows/Twin Peaks ski area, there was still 3 to 8 feet of snow in the trees, along the ridges and often out in the open. The suncups are getting terrible, too!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd