[pct-l] Filtration--info directly from McNett

hikerguy599 at aol.com hikerguy599 at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 19:27:12 CST 2011

To clear up some confusion I had about the efficacy of Aqua Mira drops vs. filtration, I wrote an email query to McNett Corp.  Here's their response:

Aquamira Chlorine Dioxide drops and tablets are effective against Giardia, Cryptosporidium, bacteria, viruses.  It will work in cloudy
and silty water but extra dosing and longer dwell time is suggested in the directions for this case.  At least a 4 hour dwell time to
purify turbid water.  Pre Filter is always a good choice to aid in this matter.  Many use coffee filters and silk scarves to good
success.  For the ultimate ultralight system use our Frontier Pro filter in conjunction with the drops.  The protozoa and cloudy water
are instantly filtered out, and viruses and bacteria are removed within 15 to 30 minutes.

Customer Service
McNett Corporation
1411 Meador Avenue
Bellingham WA 98229-5845
TEL: 360-671-2227
FAX: 360-671-4521
www.mcnett.com

I had considered both the Frontier Pro filter and Aqua Mira drops, but didn't want to use the filter alone because of the large pore size
(2 microns, I think); nor did I want to use Aqua Mira drops alone because they do nothing to get rid of unwanted chemicals and metals,
dirt, floaties and other contaminants.  Not to mention the additional dwell time required in turbid water.

I think the combination of a lightweight filter like the Frontier Pro followed by the drops is an excellent idea.  The best filters alone
(0.2 micron) don't get the viruses without a chemical additive anyway.  The Frontier Pro will only add 2 oz. to your water treatment
system, and you can easily attach it to one of your water vessels to gravity-decant into another container before treating with drops.

Let's see, what would a complete system look like and weigh?  How about 2 oz for the filter, 2 oz for the Aqua Mira, 1.2 oz for a 2.4 L
Platypus, and 2 oz for two 1 liter and one 1/2 liter soda/water bottles to gravity feed into.  That's a total of  7.2 oz, less than any 0.2
micron filter out there, and way less expensive.  Save an ounce or so by only taking two containers (when water sources are plentiful)
and use one to filter from, and the other to drink from.

Mark Shank
Kirkland, WA