[pct-l] Socks

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Jan 31 18:05:02 CST 2011

This may have been mentioned, so bear with me.  Also this is an opinion,
not a statement of fact.

The main thing about socks is that they are tight enough not to move on
your foot.  Thickness doesn't matter - that's personal preference,
although ragg wool socks pretty much suck at staying tight.

I wear a 14EEEE shoes and large socks, which are usually 10 and a half
or 11 to 12.  I forgot what I learned last summer and bought a couple
pair of extra large socks and ended up using them as sleeping socks.

If you walk through a stream or wet meadow and get wet feet, your socks
shouldn't have a life of their own, shouldn't shift or bunch or fold or
move at all.  They should adhere to your feet wet and dry.

If your shoes flop around when wet, that's ok.  Your feet are likely to
expand to fill them, either over the trip, or through the day.

My experience is blisters develop when the sock rubs against skin, not
when the shoe rubs against the sock, which being very tight, is like a
second skin.

Also, when your shoes are new, peel off a four or so inch strip of duct
tape, remove the sole of the running shoe, and stick the duct tape up
the inside back of the shoe, an inch or so underneath the sole to an
inch or so outside the shoe.  Wear the shoe normally.  Normal foot heat
will bond the duct tape to the shoe and voila - no blisters!!!  The duct
tape rubs against the tight sock, but with little friction, wet or dry...

Just some things to think about!!!

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD, where tonight it's supposed to drop to minus 25 degrees with
a minus 40 to 60 degree wind chill.