[pct-l] High Sierra footwear - waterproof or not?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:14:42 CST 2011

You cannot keep your feet dry in the Sierra. Well, you can, but you will
spend more time sitting at the side of creeks swapping shoes than you will
hiking!

Once you resign yourself to wet feet, you are free!

I haven't thru hiked yet, but I've spent much time in the Sierra and
elsewhere. I'll often start out trying to keep my feet dry until eventually
you will step in something that is too deep. I learned many years ago it's
not worth the struggle. Just stomp through the water and keep moving. It
becomes even more important when you're trying to cover a lot of miles. When
you're crossing a stream every half mile, you don't have time to change
footwear at each crossing. Wear wool socks to keep your feet warm.

That's my take. I'll be wearing running shoes the entire trail. HYOH