[pct-l] ice axe length

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Mon Jan 31 12:12:06 CST 2011

Tip of the hat to ya, Chuck,

I appreciate what you are saying, particularly with regards to the huge variation of approaches to hiking this trail.

However, in fairness, there are many people who do not have a lot of mountaineering experience, who look at this thread, and make decisions.....that they may have to live with for quite some time in the snow.

Understanding that, I think it is great to post about variations of ways to do things, but when one moves into the realm of lifesaving equipment, when one is suggesting an unconventional approach, it would be wise to *identify* it as such.  Particularly when one suggests a significant departure, I think there is an obligation to explain the "how" of it.....much as you suggest for Jardine.

For example, in using an ice axe, probably 99% of the time, an axe is used for a self-belay, which provides tremendous safety against a slip.  This is routine, simple use-not particularly technical, not very difficult to learn or use.  An ice axe arrest, however, is more of a "hail mary" type of a maneuver, which really deserves practice.  That all being said, I was astonished that you would dismiss the most common use of the axe as non-existent (only done with a rope), and not even mention the "how" of using technical ice tools for arrest, something for which, that in contrast to an axe, they are not designed.

In looking at your links, you mention that you've only experienced three arrests, and it sounds like you had no axe at all for those.

I dunno.  Everyone looks at things differently.  Personally, when someone mentions a new technique or approach, and advocates that people use it, I've always been of the opinion that they deserve rapt attention.....if they have actually done it, themselves.  Your mileage may differ.

I also note in your link, that you use a 2nd edition of Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills.  The current edition is the 8th edition.  They have changed, in the last edition, their recommendation on ice axe length, which they now recommend as 70cm for everyone.  Might be best to be "up" on the latest, before making recommendations to others.

Obviously, there is a lot of room for disagreement.