[pct-l] Filtration ??

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 30 16:03:10 CST 2011

I used a filter in 2008. It could suck water out of places you could
not scoop it out and turn ugly water into crystal clean water. I
realized that the water was actually not that bad since most cattle
troughs seemed to have a pipe that dripped clean water, so I changed
to Aqua Mira in 2009 and sometimes didn't even treat the pipe water
dripping into the trough.

In 2009 I used Aquamira instead. I would treat lake or river water.
All other water I drank untreated.

I went to my doctor before my trip in 2008 and got prescriptions for
travel medications. I had a Vicodin for pain, antibiotic for
infection and another antibiotic for giardia. I never had to use any
of it, but could have solved any problems quickly if my recklessness
caught up to me. :)

On Jan 30, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> i used to use a katadyn hiker, but have switched to a MSR
> hyperflow ... and
> could not possibly want more.  a perfect filter for my use.
> I don't treat or filter except when absolutely necessary, and then
> I use
> Aquamira, or iodine.

>>> Personally, I would use something really robust for So-Cal, with the
>>> gross grimy disgusting water sources there (at least in the pre
>>> cache
>>> days).