[pct-l] Lake Levels VVR/Lake Thomas Edison

Vermilion Valley Resort pct-l at edisonlake.com
Sat Jan 29 13:58:21 CST 2011

Ken,

We have lake levels as "???" right now because the lake is frozen!  It's
kind of hard to estimate the level of a lake with a block of ice
floating in it and a foot of snow on the top ;)

Maybe I should change that "???" to "FROZEN"

Last year we had a nearly full lake all season long.

This year, the forecast is MUCH better.  Here's why:

1.  The Sierras got hit with a LOT of snow this winter, and that means
SNOW MELT in the spring.  And a lot of that snow melt feeds Edison Lake.
2.  Edison Lake feeds Huntington Lake via a hydroelectric plant, which
in turns feeds Shaver Lake.  That accounts for why Edison gets drawn
down during the season - to generate electricity and send the water
downstream.
3.  HOWEVER, Shaver Lake is going to be partially drained this year to
allow for work on the dam, which should take MOST of the season - AND
after Memorial Day, they are planning to drain Shaver Lake down to
STREAM levels to expose the base of the dam. It stands to reason that
Huntington will most likely not be feeding Shaver, which also means that
Edison will most likely NOT be drawn down during the season.

So, we expect to see a full lake - heck, we might even see the lake
spill a bit over the dam...

As soon as the lake levels begin to be reported this year, I'll get them
up on the site.

--
Bill Richardson
Webmaster, VVR