[pct-l] GPS

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Jan 26 14:59:17 CST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Will M wrote:

> So are smart phone "GPS" sytems truly GPS?.  It seems to me they are just
> using cell tower signals to triangulate location.  It seems that this would
> not be very useful int he backcountry where cell signals can be hard to come
> by.

It depends on the model but if "GPS" is listed in its spec then it is the satellite based system.  GPS phones may also use triangulation or even wi-fi location information to augment the GPS functionality this is sometimes called 'assisted GPS'.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-GPS

Radar