[pct-l] PCT Song - The Hiker

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 21:02:53 CST 2011

"The Hiker"
(to the tune of "The Gambler" by Kenny Rodgers)

I was headed toward Laguna, a week into a through-hike
When up ahead, I saw somebody sittin' by a tree
And as I drew closer, I could tell he was a hiker
So I walked right up to him and I asked to share his shade

Soon we got to talkin', mostly about hikin'
He told me about sixty years he'd spent upon the trail
He had lots of stories full of guts and glory
Then he handed me some jerky and he gave me this advice

He said you gotta know when to treat it, know when to drink it
Know when to take a pass and know when to wait
You never count your zeroes when you're standing there at Campo
There'll be time enough for countin' when your through-hike's done

Every hiker knows that the secret to survival
Is knowing how to use the gear that sits between your ears
'Cause every mile can make you and every mile can break you
So put one foot before the other and keep a level head

You gotta know when to treat it, know when to drink it
Know when to take a pass and know when to wait
You never count your zeroes when you're standing there at Campo
There'll be time enough for countin' when your through-hike's done

Then he stared off toward the distance and said, "I'm feelin' tired."
Then he gave a sigh and closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness, the hiker he reached Manning
And in his final words I found some trail food I could eat

You gotta know when to treat it, know when to drink it
Know when to take a pass and know when to wait
You never count your zeroes when you're standing there at Campo
There'll be time enough for countin' when your through-hike's done

-Nate the Trail Zombie