[pct-l] MAIL DROPS :

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 16:34:26 CST 2011

So, with only 8 resupplies, you'll be averaging about 332 miles between
resupply points.  If you hike 20 miles per day on average, you'll need to
carry about 17 days worth of food between each resupply.

If you hike 25 miles per day you'll only need to carry about 14 days worth
of food.

And at 30 miles per day you'll need about 11 days worth of food.

But 25-30 miles per day is very tough when you're carrying 11-14 days worth
of food.

So, closer to 20 miles per day is more realistic.  So you'll need to be able
to carry 17 days worth of food on a regular basis.
That's unconventional, but possible.

Anyway, if you're willing to carry that kind of weight here is a list of 10
resupply points, each no more than 330 miles from each other, that will get
you from mexico to canada.  I chose them so that you'll never have to go
more than 6 miles from the PCT to resupply, (in fact, half of them are right
ON the trail, and only 2 require you travel more than 2 miles off the
trail).  Here they are:

0000+00 Campo PO
0266+06 Cienaga Creek Ranch
0519+00 Hikertown Hostel
0877+05 Vermillion Valley Resort
1198+02 Sierra City Country Store
1506+02 Castella PO
1830+01 Mazama Village Store
2155+00 Cascade Locks PO
2402+00 Snoqualmie Summit Lodge
2663+00 Manning Park Resort

Here's how to read them:
"*1506+02 Castella PO* " means *Castella PO* (post office) is located
*1506*trail miles north of mexico and
*2* miles off the trail.

If you want to read more about these resupply points you can look them up
here:

http://planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.php

Happy trails,

Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"*Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a
fruit salad.*"
-Proverb