[pct-l] MAIL DROPS :

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 14:38:13 CST 2011

I know it has been mentioned before but Yogi's handbook has a huge chart of resupply locations and commentary from lots of hikers as to whether they purchased or mailed packages, just like Matt provided.

I think it is very helpful to see the range of opinions as you can often find someone who thinks the way you do and help you decide on your approach.

Radar

That is so true. I started out thinking i would be this picky eater. It turned out that trail food was
just fuel to me. My food choices were anything that contained about 2,000 calories to the lb.
Variety really became less of an issue since I could get variety from town food at resupplies.
Radar makes a good point though. Opinions are so subjective about food.
What surprised me most was how much my preconcieved notions about what i would like to eat
had changed once I was on the trail.
So for my posted list, I should add that i chose my trail foods based on calories per ounce, and in proportion
to about 75% carbohydrate, 15% protein, 10% fat.
Everytime i hit town i would immediately switch to a nearly all protein and fat diet.. and loved it.
It is totally true that i met hikers that found resupply difficult where i did not.
If you go with "buy as you go" strategy on the PCT you will have to accept that sometimes you
will have to get a lot of one item to make up for a lack of variety. For me it was all about: 1. Calories 2. Nutrition 3. Weight(of food) 4. Variety.
In that order of importance.
On the CDT I used what i learned on the PCT and went totally buy as you go(BAYG.. like we need another wierd acronym!).
-Iceaxe