[pct-l] Updated JetBoil - Almost Viable Solution (??)

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:26:51 CST 2011

Hey All,

It seems JetBoil is finally getting ready to release their "Solo" and "Ti"
versions.

Of course, they promised they would be out in 2010... so... who really
knows... but at least the Solo is now at least *listed* at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/813622

Three Basic differences:

(1) It now has a fuel regulator (sweet for high Sierras)

(2) Down from one liter to 0.8 liter cup/pot

(3) Decreased from 15.25 ounces to 10.5 ounces (!!)

Now the Ti version which they are promising will be out "soon" is suppose to
hit the scales at 8.5 ounces (sweet!!)

I would just like to go on the record as being somebody who has bought three
of them over the years, but never take them out on a hike because of the
obscene weight.

However, if this Ti version that is suppose to be hitting 10.5 ounces....
well that almost puts it knocking on the door of my MSR Titan and Soto stove
(6.90 oz)

I am sure that the insulating cozy is a good ounce or two, so rip that
sucker off as soon as it shows up and, yeah, this might actually work out
for some folks!

If anybody does see this Ti version for sale somewhere, please, let me know.
I will gladly buy it and try it out and do a video on it.

btw, getting ready to do a video on the HMG Echo1 in a couple of weeks - and
my video on the HMG WindRider got delayed due to the soon-to-be-released
Gen2.

I pushed out a couple of videos this weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4McvAlXsoA  -- me almost getting taken out
by a 30+ foot wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-RFaGvf0s -- me utterly rambling on about
who knows what... I sure don't...