[pct-l] John Muir's Birthplace

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 18:41:51 CST 2011

That is such a right thing to do Diane.  Muir was consciously doing the same
thing with the early Sierra Club summer camping trips.  He was motivated to
get people into the High Country for just that reason.  He took Emerson's
ideas, and made them real, touchable, and personal by giving people the
experience of the wild.  When you take people up there, or anywhere
beautiful in the woods, mtns or deserts, you make "converts," and political
allies.  Or you at least begin what for many becomes a lifelong love of
nature.

What you are doing with folks has a long history and great validity.  If we
want these great places and trails preserved, we need more than a few thru
hikers to make it happen.  I lead weekly hikes in our area, and up Mt
Diablo, partly because I'm hiking anyway, but also because I'm really very
missionary where it comes to getting people involved in Nature.  Your posts
always come from that place, as do many of the old timers, and young timers
on this forum.  We just want others to experience it and love it as we all
do.  It is fun, and it isn't complicated, it's just wonderful.

Shroomer