[pct-l] Question about maps

Halfmile list at lon.net
Sat Jan 22 16:34:23 CST 2011

JP,
I normally use HP Bright White Inkjet paper on my printer at home.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322564-322564-81636-91536-91537.html

The maps look better when you splurge and buy high quality paper and
it works well for double sided printing. This paper is about $10 per
500 sheets, so it's about 20 times cheaper than the waterproof paper
you are looking at. It's not water proof but I have found on my
printer the inks are the most water resistance when I use this paper.
I have done tests where I dunked maps in water for 10 seconds and the
ink does not run at all, unlike the old days where if two drops of
water fell on your inkjet printout everything started running like
crazy (this depends a lot on your printer too...not just the paper).
The paper is by no means waterproof, so it gets weak and flimsy when
soaked, but if you are careful you can dry them out overnight and the
map is almost as readable as normal after they dry. You would have a
big mess on your hands if you completely soaked your maps, but a zip
lock bag solves that problem. This paper is for inkjet printers you
would want something different for laser printers.

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net