[pct-l] PCT Bear Canister Loan Program - Request for Donations

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 13:26:01 CST 2011

Hi Mendorider,

I hate carrying the can, too. But learned the hard way. Bears are amazing and smart animals.

A few years ago we were headed into try Clarence King. My friend, J, was anti-bear can. He had mountaineered all through the Sierra, ,but had not been out since the late '80s. His plan was to sink his food in a lake in a dry sack.

We decided on an late start from Onion Valley and camped at Little Pothole Lake. My gf and I had our food in a Garcia. My friend decided to counter-balance. His setup was perfect, it could have been used in a textbook.

To mke a long story short, the bear got his food. We saw the tracks the bear left. He had walked right by our Garcia and didn't even stop to knock it over. He totally ignored it. No opsaks, it was smelly, but the bear knew he wasn't going to get in and left it alone.

Good luck on your ride!

Gary

---- Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gary,

I live in Agua Dulce. Donna Saufley has loaned me three Garcia Bear Canisters
for my ride this summer. I am riding SOBO from Sierra City to Horseshoe Meadows
and will carry the Bear Canisters, on my horse, the entire distance. Two are for
processed horse feed (12 pounds in each) and one for my food. I realize that
they are not required everywhere. It is simply easier for me to use just one
packing system. I will also use OP Saks in places where bears are a problem so
bears won't smell food inside the Canisters - and therefore will not be
attracted to my camp area. I used OpSaks in other parts of the PCT where bears
were a problem. Bears never visited my camps.

MendoRider