[pct-l] PCT Bear Canister Loan Program - Request for Donations

Julie Flaming julie.flaming at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 12:40:29 CST 2011

Gina,

I don't think he meant that relocation had been discontinued as an option -
just that it can be the final alternative if a bear habituated to human food
cannot be rehabilitated. In my experience (National Park Service brat in
Yellowstone), bears habituated to human food are relocated first (often
airlifted many miles from humans and its old habitat). However, once a bear
gets a taste for human food, it's often impossible to relocate it so far
(especially in the lower 48 states) that it can't find a garbage can,
campsite, etc. And bears aren't dumb - they're omnivores with a long memory
for where the goodies are. Unfortunately, bears who aren't successfully
rehabilitated with relocation are sometimes euthanized, especially if they
become more aggressive.

Julie