[pct-l] Acclimation to altitude

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:00:46 CST 2011

Great info Radar.  It is important to be aware of the symptoms, and to get
someone you suspect is suffering from them down to lower elevation as soon
as possible.  We had one airlift in 2010 due to suspected HAPE, which
occurred just south of Forrester Pass.  He was hiked down to the Kern and
flown out.  The second incidence I'm aware of from last year was not PCT
involved, but was the tragedy several months earlier on Shasta in winter.
 Two very experienced UC Berkeley climbers summited and on the way back
down, one of them began showing symptoms, and within a very short time had
died.  His partner tried for hours to revive him, but eventually had to
leave him in a snow cave and descend alone.  The victim had been at that
altitude many times before.  My daughter was a Cal when it happened, and it
was devastating all around, family and students who knew them.  It is rare,
but does happen nonetheless.

Radar's info is worth knowing.

Shroomer