[pct-l] Acclimation to altitude

Jim Bravo jimbravo2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:17:23 CST 2011

I haven't researched it for years, since my ultra running days, but good
acclimation is largely hereditary. You have to choose your parents wisely.
The wisdom used to be that it takes about 20 days at altitude to gain decent
acclimatization (is that a word?). Of course partial adaptations occur as
soon as you are up there. One time I stealth-camped in my Geo Mountain 3
tent at high altitude for two weeks in preparation for a race, later to find
out that two weeks does little good. I had a tough day. I may have been
better off arriving there the morning of the race. On the PCT I would just
recommend taking it easy on the climbs, staying hydrated and fueled, and not
thinking about it too much. There are folks on the list with more high
altitude experience than me, so hopefully they will address this as well.

Jim