[pct-l] Smart phones

Lisa Freathy rainorshinecamper at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 20:42:55 CST 2011

Hi Gerry and any DroidX users,

I just got an Droid X and have been trying to learn different features that can
help me on my hike this year. If you have time to share a bit of info. with me
it would be most appreciated!! I am seriously electronically challenged, so
explanations geared towards the basics are the best for me. I had a few
questions...

~Did you download a backcountry GPS app? If so, which one did you use?
~Have you been able to load up the PCT on your Droid gps? If so, did you use
halfmile's maps and are there any tricks I need to know other than what I could
easily read on his site?

(I tried a search of the PCT-L archives as I thought I saw a step by step on how
to do this a few months back, but could not find this thread in my searches)
~Was there something special that you had to do (downloads or phone settings
or...) in order to have your back country gps work when not in cell reception?

Thank you so much for sharing some of your knowledge, I am concerned the 3
months I gave myself to learn this phone pre-hike will not be nearly enough for
me!

Happy Hiking!
 Lisa

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb
a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~ John Muir