[pct-l] Another go of it!

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 00:38:38 CST 2011

Piper,

It's back to the border for this jackass. This will be my third straight summer but my first solo attempt; 1200 miles in '09, got off due to money; 1400 miles in '10, got off because of Molasses' feet and my extreemly low energy; 250-300 miles in '06, section hike from Mojave to Whitney.

For a multitude of reasons I'll be headin' out alone this year. I have a desire to tackle this trail on my own terms. I love hiking with Molasses and wouldn't change a moment of the past two summers. That being said, it's a whole different challenge hiking as a team. Your highs and lows rarely seem to match up. I'm ready to do a thirty to get into town for some hot food, her feet hurt. She doesn't want to take a zero, I'm wiped and feel I need some down time. I'm at my peak, she has crypto. She's at her peak and I can't seem to eat enough to keep my energy and mood up. Hiking styles can be a hard thing to match up. But, none of these things are why I'll be hiking solo this summer. Life has a knack of getting in the way of hiking as much as we'd both like, but she'll get in hundreds of miles this summer in the North Cascades. '12 will be her year to give the trail another go.

Jackass