[pct-l] FireFly's goin' Floating.....

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 13:12:59 CST 2011

Hi, all.....
I've not been paying a lot of attention to what's happening with the list
lately, tho the dog discussion has been pretty interesting.  I'm a new
grammie...this time to Jake, my daughter's chocolate lab.  I'm very neutral
regarding dogs on the trail...Jake looks very big...he IS very big, but
would probably lick to peices anyone he meets...he's not a trail-hiking dog,
so no worries there.
It's a bit too early to have many questions to answer re Trail Angels/Hat
Creek Rim/water caches/etc. in and around Shasta County and Old Station in
particular.  But just in case hikers are beginning to want info from/about
this area I wanted to say that it'll be at least the end of Feb. before I
can even read the topic titles as I'm goin' floatin'....   I've been offered
a great once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to check off one of the items on my
Bucket List....a chance to float the Grand Canyon in a raft!  I'm* *leaving
here on the 18th or 19th with a hiker from the Class of '08 to pick up
another member of the same class and head for AZ.  We'll meet our travel
campanions in Page, AZ...spend a couple of days getting acquainted, sorting
and packing food and group gear and will hit the river at Lee's Ferry.
We'll be rafting, hiking, discovering what the river and the canyon have to
offer for three weeks!  I'm sooo jazzed about this...something I've always
dreamed about, never dreamed the chance would ever arise.  There will be 16
of us all together, I think...rafters, kayakers, hikers, climbers and a
Trail Angel...how about that!  I'm a bit nervous about being able to carry
my load (do my share),...but it'll all work out and I'm going to love this!
Fellow rafters that I've 'met' on-line and on the phone all sound like
they'll be super fun to spend some close encounter-time with.  Counting
travel days...(my poor ol'  van's hittin' the road again), we'll be gone the
best part of a month.
So, those of you that might want info regarding the Trail in this area...if
you post questions any time soon, I won't have a chance to read and/or
respond.  Please hold off til March, by then I should be able to start
reading your posts.  Thanks much....
Switchback...when do you do your Grand Canyon hike this year?  ETA at
Phantom Ranch is 1.30 to 2.01.11...possibly too early to auction you off to
the local Native Americans, eh?  Ah well...maybe next time.  You need to do
your push-ups so you'll be strong enough to get a good price anyway.....;-)
See ya all at Kick Off.,
FireFly, from The Hideaway at Old Station