[pct-l] Night lighting

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 15 13:20:08 CST 2011

Good morning, Kevin,

My little Photon Freedom LED lights each have a string loop with a plastic
slider to adjust the size of the loop.  For hands-free use -- which is not
very common -- I tension the loop around my head or hat to make it a
headlamp.  Additionally, the Freedom is sold with a little clip to attach
the light to one’s hat brim or glasses, but I don’t use it.

For the rare instances when I hike at night I keep the LED light in my hand
with the grip of my pole.  I find that when the light is held low shadows
from bumps, ruts, roots, rocks, etc, form relief on the trail surface that
can be readily seen.  When the light is at head-level my eyes don’t see
those shadows and the trail seems to flatten in a way that doesn’t help me
avoid stumbling.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09