[pct-l] ULA Packs and Bear Cans

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 18:01:19 CST 2011

I am new to long distance hiking and can relate to being torn between the two
ULA packs (circuit nd catalyst).   I ended up getting the circuit and really
like the low pack weight and functionality, but carrying the bear can vertically
or strapped on top (of the circuit) was not enjoyable.   I ended up ordering a
catalyst because it is nice to have the extra space and support; I also like the
idea of  not having to compress my down bag as much (in the catalyst).  This is
my first long distance backpacking adventure and my history of back problems
made getting the lighter weight circuit the best choice for most of the way; I
will carry the catalyst when I have to carry a bear can.   If I didn't have
a "bad back" I would probably just get the catalyst.   Good luck with your
choice, I don't think you can go wrong with a ULA product ...