[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

stonedancer1 at aol.com stonedancer1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 13 17:23:47 CST 2011

Another strategy to consider is setting out your own water caches.  I've been doing this for years.  I've picked out 6 or 8 locations, not to difficult to reach by 4WD, but where I wanted to make sure water was available.  Then I wrote a note with my name and arrival date on a big water jug, and wrapped each jug in tin foil and burlap.  The cache consists of hiding the jug under a bush at a little distance from the trail (or the trail angel cache if any).  Then I take a picture of where it is, so I can look at the picture on my hiking camera when I get back there on foot.  I have had pretty good success, only one or two have been punctured by critters.  Excess water can be left for the next guy.  I take care of the litter.

Stone Dancer

Tuolumne Press
publisher of "A Thru-Hiker's Heart" by No Way Ray Echols