[pct-l] underwear on the trail?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 14 17:39:25 CST 2011

On Jan 14, 2011, at 7:55 AM, Kevin Cook wrote:

> Socks are like underwear for your feet.

For some people that may be true. One guy I met carried 14 pairs of
injinji toe socks on the trail.

I take 3 pairs of socks but not because they are "underwear for the
feet". One pair is thin for days when my feet feel swollen and I want
more room in my shoes. One pair is thick for days when the ground
feels really hard and I want more cushion. One pair has fun colors
for days when I'm sick of wearing all beige. One pair is NEVER worn
while hiking -- the "sacred" socks. That sounds like 4 pairs, but the
fun colors and thickness overlap.

Your foot health is important. Do what works for you. If it takes 14
pairs of socks, fine. Whatever works.

A lot of weight can be reduced in your pack by not carrying a change
of clothing. It's pretty dry most places here in the west and you
really can walk your clothing dry or let it line dry outside while
you sleep or safety-pinned to your pack while you hike.