[pct-l] 2010 thru hiker updates - PCT Blues

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 13 19:17:34 CST 2011

I don't even know you, Iceaxe, or Shroomer or Slow and Steady, or the
lot of you ex-PCT thru-hikers (except Chuck who I actually met!). But
I feel like we're all old friends in a way. I so envy you, Iceaxe!
This time next year you'll have your triple crown.

I've had the PCT blues pretty bad lately. Regular life just seems so
tedious sometimes. I joined a discussion forum for people who live in
RVs recently just so I could read the posts and dream a little about
another nomadic way of life. Reading their discussions has given me
the blues. I suspect there are a few there on that discussion who are
former thru-hikers. Something about when you find out about this
simple, nomadic way of life, if you took to it at all, it stays with
you.

One thing about reading that discussion is there are so many people
on it who look to solve all their problems by throwing money and
stuff at it. I find myself wanting to say, No no! You don't have to
buy XYZ for that. You can make it out of <insert some hiker trashy
thing>.

What gives me the blues is having to live in that world of buy-to-
solve, sometimes finding its thinking encroaching on me again. "I
need X so I'll go to the store and buy it." I miss the life of
solving my problems with the meager bag of tricks on my back and
being totally self-contained and not being surrounded by such a
clamor to spend and acquire. Feeling happy even though I stink, my
clothes are stained and dirty and all I've eaten for 4 days is Mac-
and-cheese.

~ Going on my 2nd year not being a hiker :(