[pct-l] Successful Thru hikers -annually

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:00:50 CST 2011

I have looked at the success rate of thru-hikers by analyzing trail journals for the last few years.  In general the success rate for a thru-hiker is near 40%.  You can look at the study by looking at the link shown below.  I will be posting new data for the 2010 season shortly.  Preliminary results show an increase in the success rate to around 50% for thru-hikers in the 2010 season.  Which appears to be a significant increase.

Exact totals are difficult to determine because people don't always sign the trail registers.  I'm guessing that there was about 500 permitted thru-hikers in 2010 so one can estimate (500 X 50%) about 250 thru-hikers finished in 2010.

http://hikethru.com/about-the-pct/thru-hike-success-rate

> >> I was looking for totals of both last and all years.

Paul

hikethru.com