[pct-l] Bear Cans

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 13 08:56:43 CST 2011

Gerry

Bear bagging is not allowed from Horseshoe Meadows through Kennedy Meadows North.  The bears is this area are very smart and teach their young how to spot a hung bear bag, how to follow the Cord to a tie-off and then pull it down.  Others have sent their young up the tree and out on the limb to jump down onto the bag and bring it to the ground.  Once the bear has your bag, even if it is unsuccessful at getting to your food, the bear will swash everything inside the bag, mixing it all together into a slop, likely mixed with bear saliva.  Yumm, good!  Sleeping with a bear bag under your head is a good way to get swiped by a bear claw in the middle of the night.  You may also have you shelter damaged by the bear attempting to get at your food before you awaken.  Bears are stronger than you are so piling rocks over it won't work.  If you can find a large boulder with a deep crack, deeper than the bear's arm in
 long, you might be able to store a bag in there.  Maybe.  The weight of a bear canister is less than the difference made up by switching to a lighter sleeping bag and a tarp, so this really isn't that big a deal.

Shepherd