[pct-l] Bear question

Mike Welch encinomw at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 16:12:52 CST 2011

Yes.  Actually, here in Alaska (I've lived here now for 28 years having grown up in Southern California) we use the term brown bear and grizzly somewhat interchangeably.  My understanding is that the grizzly is an inland brown bear that is a little smaller as it's diet depends more on berries.  The coastal brown bears (of which the Kodiak is one of the largest) are larger as their diet is more salmon and other fish.  The fur of the brown bear and black bear can come in different colors, so it can be confusing when you see them in the wild.  We tell them apart by looking at their head, snouts and whether they have a large hump on their upper shoulders (created by massive muscle, the grizzly).  This is important as their behaviors are different.  I have come across both here in Alaska while hiking and mountain biking.  I do not fear the black
 bear, but I have great respect for the brown bear.  They are stronger, generally more aggressive and unpredictable and you want to avoid an encounter with one. If you do come across them in the wild, either the black bear or brown bear you must stand your ground and make yourself bigger than life and have eye contact.  You do not want to be overly aggressive, but to let them know you have no fear and that you are not something they want to mess with.  Then you hope they amble off which generally they will.       Mountain Mike