[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

lee staley leestcoast at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:49:35 CST 2011

Hi Melanie,

I'll echo what Schroomer and Paul said about being prepared for frosty
(if not downright freezing) nights and mornings, particularly if you end
up camping in an area that's a cold air sink, like Scissor's Crossing.
That being said, I think your down vest and fleece jacket will probably
be fine when layered with long underwear, a storm shell (or something
windproof) over everything plus a warm beanie and gloves.  Remember,
after hiking all day, you'll probably be in a sleeping bag soon after
you stop for the night.

Besides frosty nights, it's not unusual for one last Alaskan storm to
come through with high winds, freezing rain and a little snow.  Be sure
you have a shelter, whether it's a bivy, tarp, or tent, that can handle
some weather.  I think last season some thrus called out during a storm
for a rescue pickup while packed into the porta-potty at the Sunrise
Trailhead on Mt. Laguna!

My current rule of thumb on what gear to plan to bring for different
temperatures is: 1) Above freezing - a 30 F sleeping bag, lightweight
layers and a Mont-Bell UL Inner Light Down Jacket (about 8 oz);  2)
Below freezing (particularly low 20s) - a 20F sleeping bag, lightweight
or mid weight layers and a Patagonia Micro Puff jacket (about 14 oz).
Hope this helps,

Cruz Control