[pct-l] Maps

Halfmile list at lon.net
Tue Jan 11 23:02:00 CST 2011

Mike,
My maps can be downloaded free at www.pctmap.net

Compared to the Forest Service PCT map series my maps differ in that:
- I use a scale of 1" - 1/2 mile, the Forest Service Maps use a 1" = 1
mile scale
- The Forest service maps have a 100 foot contour interval, my maps
use whatever the USGS base maps use, which is usually 40 feet
- My maps are more accurate, based on GPS tracks of the trail I
recorded as I hiked in 2007 - 1010
- My maps have more hiker landmarks
- My maps list mileages frequently, the Forest Service maps have no
mileages of any kind
- My maps have free matching digital data that you download into your
GPS (if your using a GPS, having matching waypoints in your GPS and on
your printed maps is an amazing thing)

I hiked Oregon with the Forest Service maps before I had mapped that
state. My maps are much more detailed, but the lack of any type of
trail mileages on the Forest Service maps was the biggest downside for
me. The Forest Service maps are beautifully printed on waterpoof
paper. They are probably the only practical waterproof PCT map
solution unless someone wanted to go to the considerable expense of
printing my maps on waterproof paper. Also, the Forest Service maps
include more area on either side of the trail than my maps (although
my maps include more area around the trail than the Guidebook or
Atlas).

-Halfmile