[pct-l] Lets Talk High-End Watches

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Tue Jan 11 17:24:59 CST 2011

I have the Suunto Vector and like it, so I would not hesitate to buy the Suunto Core.

Any of these altimeters work by changes in barometric pressure so if the weather is changing their accuracy drops. You mitigate this by resetting the altimeter periodically at known elevations. This is easy as the guidebooks have the elevations. I use the altimeter to monitor my progress to a destination. If I have 600 feet to climb and the altimeter days I'm climbing 12 feet I know I will be there in 50 minutes (assuming a steady grade).

The only thing not so useful to me is the thermometer. While wearing the watch it gives the temperature at my wrist, often much higher than air. Often it is above 85 degrees. I can take off the watch but then worry about leaving it behind. But I don't care about the temp much.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net