[pct-l] Social interaction/dealing with disagreeable people

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Mon Jan 10 21:56:02 CST 2011

Paul:

In all the years that I have been hiking the trail I only had one bad experience. It was last summer in Washington when a hiker came barging into the camp I was at brandishing large pieces of firewood and pissed at finding me at the camp. Unfortunately, the improved tent site at the camp was too small for my tent and the only other flat place was close to the fire pit. I got royally cussed out and was afraid for awhile as he stalked off to find some place else to camp make his fire. I later crossed paths with him on a zero day at a town and we talked it out. I also found out later that others had the same kind of experience with him being loud and impatient. SO.....

People are generally pretty nice. Some are more friendly than others--some don't want all the socializing because it is a time waster detracting from doing mileage. You can meet dozens of people in a day and 5-10 minutes spent talking to each can add up.

I hiked solo because my pace was not fast. But I ended up hiking with several people for a few days here and there--the relationships developed naturally. I met them while hiking.  I think you're right about meeting people at the kickoff where everything is beautiful and everyone is on the high of anticipation. This can be an unrealistic place to meet people where there are no stresses. Good luck.

--Fireweed