[pct-l] how many days food do you carry?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 10:43:46 CST 2011

Hi Mike,
5 to 6 days is usually about right, but it varies depending on the section
you're hiking.  And you will get faster as the months progress.  Lots of
food gets left in the hiker boxes because of this, and makes for some
wonderful additions.  Also, I didn't know of anyone taking a zero at the end
of each week, but it would be fun to have that much time.  I found life on
trail so satisfying I ended up  going long stretches between zeros.  In the
end I didn't really need to, but it just felt good not to stop.  On the
other end of the spectrum was Freebird, really enjoying last summer's hike,
averaging 10 miles per day, and zeroing every chance he got.  He was the
first person on trail, in March sometime, and came into BC a few weeks after
me.  But loving every day he walked.

As for "local fodder," I think you mean what you can buy on the zero in
town.  Sometimes that isn't even cheese.  Maybe just corn nuts, part of my
breakfast of champions.  Check out Yogi's book for availability of quality
food at the different trail stops, as it really varies.

Shroomer