[pct-l] Anyone gotten Giardia on the PCT?

Bruce 'Buck' Nelson buck at bucktrack.com
Sat Jan 8 10:41:06 CST 2011

Hikers often talk about whether it is necessary to treat water on the
Pacific Crest Trail. I thought we might try to get a feel for how often
hikers actually get Giardia in the "real world."

Years ago I had Giardia, twice, and vowed to treat all water in the future.
I faithfully treated water up until last summer. After reading an article
about the low likelihood of getting Giardia from drinking water, I only
treated on a case-by-case basis. Instead, I focused on hand hygiene and not
passing food back and forth with other hikers.

I got sick at Sonora Pass while southbound during my flip. After a couple of
days I felt better, but I got sick again in Mammoth. Experience told me it
was likely Giardia. The doctor concurred. He gave me Tinidazole and in 24
hours I had recovered, if somewhat weakened.

Bottom line: beyond a reasonable doubt I got Giardia from untreated drinking
water.

   - Have any of you, or anyone you know personally, gotten Giardia on the
   PCT?
   - Were you diagnosed by a doctor?
   - Were you treating all water?
   - What's your best guess as to how you got it?
   - Where on the trail did you get it?

Thanks!

Colter

2010 PCT Thru-hike