[pct-l] Scary!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jan 8 12:59:07 CST 2011

Funny you should think I am talking about you, unless you are Stabby
McBackstabber.

Nobody doubts you are man enough to go the distance or macho enough
to kill and eat a rattlesnake. It seems to me that the people who
fail to complete more than a hundred miles or two tend to be those
who go out thinking they will find one kind of experience and find
out that it's not like what they expected. The PCT isn't a "Man vs.
Wild" kind of thing. It's probably not a "finding yourself" thing and
it's certainly not a solitary wilderness experience. People who don't
take the trail for what it is tend to be disappointed and go home. I
know from experience. (Duh, I should have known a "Crest" trail
wouldn't have me hiking along the creeks in the canyons.)

Anyway, I would rather hike the trail with people who don't hit the
ground running with a prominent oppositional personality, fists
swinging at the outset. Those people tend to have disappeared by
about Section E, usually because either they have gone home or they
have changed.

Good luck with your hike.
Diane