[pct-l] supply drop off chihuahua vally rd ?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Jan 5 20:06:24 CST 2011

Mike:

Hmmm. Your place is about one day (16 miles) north of Warner Springs or 4
days (56 miles) south of Idyllwild (via the Devil's Slide trail).

It is a most generous offer on your part, but if I were you, I would not do
it - simply because these two traditional trail towns are so close to each
other that the extra drop point is not really needed. It would mean less
work for you, and you wouldn't need a secure storage spot that hikers could
access when you're not there, but into which local wildlife could not get.

The only real advantage I can see would be for the hiker who is trying to
skip the 9 mile round trip (and the elevation loss/gain) going to and from
Idyllwild and is just pushing for Big Bear instead. By carrying an extra day
of food from Mount LaGuna, they could avoid the 2.4 mile round trip to and
from Warner Springs, replacing that with the 0.4 mile round trip to and from
your place. They would thus save a day's food weight going from your place
to Big Bear.

Again - just my opinion - but thank you for your most kind and generous
offer. Please feel free to totally ignore my thoughts on the matter and
"Angel Your Own Trail".

Wandering Bob