[pct-l] My plans,in a nutshell

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 06:33:58 CST 2011

just to clarify,

it's not like i'm angry that someone wants to hunt snakes.  as many of you know
i was part of a sustenance project just out of college and we had to eat mice
and all kinds of things to survive.  a lot of times we ended up eating nothing
at all.  but we weren't hiking 20 miles a day... when we had no food we sat by
the fire... it was all we had energy for.

my big point, as the original post was about calories and food needs is that
there's no way hunting a snake is more efficient than simply carrying more
food.  even the knife used to hunt the snake is added weight etc.

things like thru-fishing the JMT portion of the trail can and have been done;
but certainly not as efficiently as simply carrying food and walking.

i don't mean to step on anyone's rights as a hunter... i'm an avid hunter.   but
how far off the trail would you have to go to hunt?  you'll find in a lot of
places even getting off the trail requires serious and exhausting bushwhacking.
in the early sections anyway.

when i first went on the PCT i thought it was survival type camping as well, so
i understand the mindset.   but it's not.  it's a trail,  well formed, well
beaten, and very well traveled.  don't be surprised to see 20 or more people in
a day... its not bushcrafting or shelter building.  there's none of that.   i
would suggest enjoying the trail for what it is... cause i know i was
disappointed my first trip when i realize i didn't need any of those survival
tools,  knife, compass, etc. etc.  thru hiking is very much NOT like camping or
traditional backpacking.

anyway seems several people took the impression i was either angry or a peace
loving hippy of which i am neither ; )

~Paul